Below are resource links, videos, and publications related to careers in anthropology.
- American Anthropological Association: http://www.aaanet.org/profdev/careers/
- Society for Historical Archaeology: http://www.sha.org/documents/corrected_sha_careers.pdf
- Society for American Archaeology: http://www.saa.org/publicftp/public/resources/Careers.html
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists: http://physanth.org/career/careers-in-physical-anthropology
Selected Links from Anthropology Programs
- What can I do with an Anthropology Degree? from the Univeristy of North Texas: http://anthropology.unt.edu/careersinanth-whatcanIdo.php
- What Can I Do with a Degree in Anthropology? from University of Kansas: http://www.kucareerhawk.com/s/762/wide.aspx?sid=762&gid=1&pgid=318&coseid=e9f500f5-67a7-4df1-977f-c8007496b181&sMsg=”
- Finding a Career in Anthropology from Indiana University of Pennsylvania: http://www.iup.edu/page.aspx?id=30657″
- Portland State University: http://www.pdx.edu/careers/what-can-i-do-with-a-degree-in-anthropology
- What can I do with anthropology? from Northern Kentucky University: http://artscience.nku.edu/departments/sapdept/anthropology/careers-in-anthropology.html
- Job Opportunities for Anthro Majors from Cal State Fullerton: http://anthro.fullerton.edu/JobOpportunities.html”
- Physical Anthropology: Nonacademic jobs in physical anthropology from UC San Diego: http://weber.ucsd.edu/~jmoore/bioanthro/brochure2.html”
These videos, beginning with the most recent, focus on careers in anthropology:
Altimare, Emily L. 2008. “Beyond Ethnography: Corporate and Design Anthropology,” DVD, 24 minutes, Careers in Anthropology No. 2, Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
Smiley Francis E. 2006. “Anthropology: Real People, Real Careers,” DVD, 42 minutes, Careers in Anthropology No. 1, Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
Briody, Elizabeth K. and Dawn Bodo. 1993. “Anthropologists at Work: Careers Making a Difference,” DVD, 36 minutes, American Anthropological Association and EXPOSE: Communications Network.
See also: NAPA answers to student questions about anthropology careers (1994)
These publications, beginning with the most recent, focus on careers in anthropology:
Fiske, Shirley J., Linda A. Bennett, Patricia Ensworth, Terry Redding, and Keri Brondo. 2010. “The Changing Face of Anthropology: Anthropology Masters Reflect on Education, Careers, and Professional Organizations,” Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
Briller, Sherylyn H. and Amy Goldmacher. 2009. Designing an Anthropology Career: Professional Development Exercises. Lanham, MD: AltaMira Press.
Strang, Veronica. 2009. What Anthropologists Do. Oxford, UK: Berg.
Guerón-Montero, Carla, ed. 2008. Careers in Applied Anthropology in the 21st Century: Perspectives from Academics and Practitioners. NAPA Bulletin No. 29, Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
Rudd, Elizabeth, Emory Morrison, Joseph Picciano, and Maresi Nerad. 2008. Social Science PhDs – Five+ Years Out: Anthropology Report. CIRGE Report 2008-01. CIRGE: Seattle, WA. www.cirge.washington.edu.
Wasson, Christina, ed. 2006. Making History at the Frontier: Women Creating Careers as Practicing Anthropologists. NAPA Bulletin No. 26, Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
Nolan, Riall W. 2002. Anthropology in Practice: Building a Career Outside the Academy. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
Omohundro, John T. 2002. Careers in Anthropology. Mountain View, CA: Mayfield, 2nd ed.
Camenson, Blythe. 2000. Great Jobs for Anthropology Majors. Chicago, IL: VGM Career Horizons.