Below are resource links, videos, and publications related to careers in anthropology.
Start with the NAPA Podcasts; the pilot series focuses on career paths and realities from eight experienced practitioner anthropologists. These podcasts were recorded in late 2013 and 2014, and cover such topics as what anthropologists do, how they got there, and what anthropological skills they apply in their daily routines.
- American Anthropological Association: http://www.aaanet.org/profdev/careers/
- Society for Historical Archaeology: http://www.sha.org/documents/corrected_sha_careers.pdf
- Society for American Archaeology: http://www.saa.org/publicftp/public/resources/Careers.html
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists: http://physanth.org/career/careers-in-physical-anthropology
Selected Links from Anthropology Programs
- What can I do with an Anthropology Degree? from the Univeristy of North Texas: http://anthropology.unt.edu/careersinanth-whatcanIdo.php
- What Can I Do with a Degree in Anthropology? from University of Kansas: http://www.kucareerhawk.com/s/762/wide.aspx?sid=762&gid=1&pgid=318&coseid=e9f500f5-67a7-4df1-977f-c8007496b181&sMsg=”
- Finding a Career in Anthropology from Indiana University of Pennsylvania: http://www.iup.edu/page.aspx?id=30657″
- Portland State University: http://www.pdx.edu/careers/what-can-i-do-with-a-degree-in-anthropology
- What can I do with anthropology? from Northern Kentucky University: http://artscience.nku.edu/departments/sapdept/anthropology/careers-in-anthropology.html
- Job Opportunities for Anthro Majors from Cal State Fullerton: http://anthro.fullerton.edu/JobOpportunities.html”
- Physical Anthropology: Nonacademic jobs in physical anthropology from UC San Diego: http://weber.ucsd.edu/~jmoore/bioanthro/brochure2.html”
These videos, beginning with the most recent, focus on careers in anthropology:
Altimare, Emily L. 2008. “Beyond Ethnography: Corporate and Design Anthropology,” DVD, 24 minutes, Careers in Anthropology No. 2, Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
Smiley Francis E. 2006. “Anthropology: Real People, Real Careers,” DVD, 42 minutes, Careers in Anthropology No. 1, Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
Briody, Elizabeth K. and Dawn Bodo. 1993. “Anthropologists at Work: Careers Making a Difference,” DVD, 36 minutes, American Anthropological Association and EXPOSE: Communications Network.
See also: NAPA answers to student questions about anthropology careers (1994)
These publications, beginning with the most recent, focus on careers in anthropology:
Fiske, Shirley J., Linda A. Bennett, Patricia Ensworth, Terry Redding, and Keri Brondo. 2010. “The Changing Face of Anthropology: Anthropology Masters Reflect on Education, Careers, and Professional Organizations,” Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association.
Briller, Sherylyn H. and Amy Goldmacher. 2009. Designing an Anthropology Career: Professional Development Exercises. Lanham, MD: AltaMira Press.
Strang, Veronica. 2009. What Anthropologists Do. Oxford, UK: Berg.
Guerón-Montero, Carla, ed. 2008. Careers in Applied Anthropology in the 21st Century: Perspectives from Academics and Practitioners. NAPA Bulletin No. 29, Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
Rudd, Elizabeth, Emory Morrison, Joseph Picciano, and Maresi Nerad. 2008. “Social Science PhDs – Five+ Years Out: Anthropology Report. CIRGE Report 2008-01.” CIRGE: Seattle, WA. www.cirge.washington.edu.
Wasson, Christina, ed. 2006. Making History at the Frontier: Women Creating Careers as Practicing Anthropologists. NAPA Bulletin No. 26, Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
Nolan, Riall W. 2002. Anthropology in Practice: Building a Career Outside the Academy. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
Omohundro, John T. 2002. Careers in Anthropology. Mountain View, CA: Mayfield, 2nd ed.
Camenson, Blythe. 2000. Great Jobs for Anthropology Majors. Chicago, IL: VGM Career Horizons.
Versatile PhD: https://versatilephd.com/