no images were found
NAPA-OT Guatemala Field School 2011: Call for Applications DUE 12/31
Call for Students: NAPA-OT Field School in Antigua, Guatemala
The NAPA-OT Field School in Antigua, Guatemala is now recruiting for its four-week summer session: July 18 – August 12, 2011. The field school offers transdisciplinary learning to promote leadership in social justice through collaboration with Guatemala-based NGO and other community partners. Graduate students and upper division undergraduate majors in applied anthropology and medical anthropology are encouraged to apply online www.napaotguatemala.org by December 31, 2010
The field school is a project of the NAPA-OT SIG (Occupational Therapy and Occupational Science Interdisciplinary Special Interest Group). Faculty include anthropologists and occupational therapists with credentials and interests in health care access and human rights, gerontology, child development, disability studies, and public health.
The objectives of the program are:
- To explore efforts to achieve social justice in Guatemala, a country with a history of ethnic and class violence
- To examine health disparities in Guatemala through applied medical anthropology theory and human rights discourse
- To understand the determinants of health and basic epidemiology in developing nations
- To provide a transdisciplinary fieldwork opportunity to students of occupational therapy, anthropology, and related subjects
- To promote social justice through partnerships in and around Antigua, Guatemala with NGOs, community groups, health care workers, and other social change agents
- To explore the concept of “occupational justice” as an emerging practice area in occupational therapy and applied anthropology
Admitted students will have the opportunity to work in one of three practice areas:
- Child development and infant nutrition;
- Participatory action research (PAR) with older adults in residential care;
- NGO networks for health.
Students also will study Spanish a minimum of 9 hours per week, working one-on-one with certified language instructors at their own level and pace. Of the field school enrollment target of 14, half are anticipated to come from anthropology. Visit our website for more information. Download an informational NAPA-OT Guatemala Field School 2011 Flyer.